Summer is in full bloom now. Everyone’s in search of good sunscreen. The term ‘good sunscreen’ is different for every one of us. Some prefer matte sunblocks while others love slightly moisturizing ones. Some ditch their daily foundation for a tinted sunscreen. Whatever your pick might be, here is a detailed list of the best cruelty-free sunscreen available in the US market.
I guess we all know about the importance of sunscreen. Let me bring up some facts for those who are still hesitating about buying sunscreen. I know if you’re here, you probably don’t need this. But allow me to proceed! Our day-to-day sun exposure causes irreversible damages to our skin. The sun’s UV rays mess up the skin cells and cause damages like burning, tan, premature wrinkles. All these might lead to melanoma or skin cancer.
*contains affiliate link(s)
A small tube of a broad-spectrum sunscreen can prevent all these. There were not many options in cruelty free sunscreen category just a few years ago. Thankfully, there are plenty of cruelty-free sunscreens to try these days.
11 Best Cruelty Free Sunscreen *2021*
Here are our top 10 picks for you!
1. Alba Botanica Soothing Sunscreen4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Enriched with some good ingredients, Alba Botanica Soothing Sunscreen provides broad-spectrum sun protection. For example, aloe vera, lavender, chamomile, green tea, and vitamin E. This high coverage sunscreen comes with SPF 45. It is a gentle sunscreen that guards the skin against free radical damage caused by harmful UVA/UVB sun rays. A great body sunscreen for all. The formula is a Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free, vegetarian, and reef-friendly.
There is no white cast. Although, it does has a lavender scent to it. There is also a Green Tea variant which you can check out if the smell is a bothersome factor. Also, it is non-greasy and doesn’t feel irritating to wear on.
1. Gentle mineral sunblock; suits all skin types (including sensitive)
2. Keeps skin nourished & prevents sunburn
3. Paraben, oxybenzone free biodegradable formula
1. Causes irritation if it goes into your eyes (sensitive eyes alert)
2. Best for dry weather
2. MD Solar Sciences Tinted Sunscreen
3.5 out of 5.0 stars
I like tinted sunscreens! You can wear this one as a primer or even a foundation. It is free of oxybenzone. This MD Solar Sciences sunscreen is SPF 30 and has a lightweight, oil-free formula. The sunscreen is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes and non-comedogenic. The brand claims it to be suitable for sensitive skin too as it is fragrance-free. It has good ingredients such as Vitamin C, green tea, and fruit extracts. The texture is creamy and the coverage is medium. It goes on easily and sits perfectly to a beautiful matte finish.
2. Matte finish
3. Non-comedogenic & oil-free
4. Dermatologist recommended; not dermatologist-tested only
1. Can be greasy at times
3. Supergoop Play Everyday Lotion (Sunflower Extract)4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Do you know how much I love sunflower? I love them, okay? If you ever wanna offer me some flowers, make it sunflower and not rose. Since the important disclaimer is out of the way, back to sunscreen it is. Supergoop Play Everyday Lotion is a must-try if you have not yet. It can be slightly on the pricey side but you can always grab a deal. Nonetheless, I feel it is a must-try for all.
It is a super-light sun protection lotion & gets absorbed fast. Everyday Lotion contains extracts of sunflower & rosemary. This avobenzone-based broad-spectrum sunscreen comes with a whooping SPF 50 and PA++++. You’ll also get 80 minutes sweat and water resistance guarantee. A cruelty-free clean sunscreen lotion that is perfect for every skin type and age.
Also, this is my favorite sunscreen. And you’re on Cruelty Free Guide, kind of a makeup blog but also skincare and beauty. So, I must tell you that it is perfect to wear under makeup. Great primer alternative. But do keep in mind your skin type + the current weather and humidity. Because these are important factors. Personally, I love it.
1. Light-weight face & body sunscreen
2. Protects skin from UVA, UVB, and IRA
3. Perfect for all skin type & age
4. Best gym and swim sunscreen with clean formula
5. Uses Supergoop’s patented Cellular Response Technology
6. Great makeup primer
4. Dermalogica Prisma Protect4.5 out of 5.0 stars
Dermalogica Prisma Protect comes with SPF 30. It is a two-in-1 moisturizer + sunscreen. Includes sage, matcha green tea, and plant-based emollients. This 100% vegan sunscreen is synthetic fragrance-free. It would be the best buddy for people with various skin types or acne/pigmentation-prone skin.
The anti-oxidant-rich sunscreen fights against premature signs of aging. Along with UV rays, it also protects the skin from blue light, infrared, and pollution. Prisma Protect glides smoothly & absorbs quickly into the skin. There is no greasiness at all. A little goes a long way.
A great buy for sensitive skin beauties. It leaves no ashy cast on your face. Moreover, works well under makeup as it is lightweight. Since it is a combined product, you need not wear moisturizers. It does that job too! Here is a guide for the best cruelty-free moisturizer for your various skin needs.
1. Multi-tasking moisturizer + sunscreen
2. Facial sunscreen for dry & mature skin
3. Provides deep hydration that lasts through the day
4. Provides smooth skin & prevents pigmentation
5. Vegan formula
6. No greasiness
7. Wearable under makeup
1. Not for too oily skin
5. COOLA Organic Mineral Body Sunscreen3.5 out of 5.0 stars
COOLA Organic Mineral Body Sunscreen is a clever combination of two mildest mineral sunblocks. Namely, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. This chemical-actives-free and vegan sunscreen are perfect for your day-to-day outdoor activities. It is enriched with natural antioxidants present in red raspberry seed oil, seed oil, and prickly pear extract. This SPF 50 sunscreen is best for all skin types including sensitive skin.
It is a non-greasy cruelty-free body lotion that is reef-safe. This means it won’t damage the beautiful corals. There is no white cast as it seeps into the skin. Some people don’t like the current texture but it still does the job of protecting against the harmful sun rays.
1. Soothing mineral sunscreen with 14.5% non-nano zinc oxide
2. Light, water-proof and non-greasy
3. No white cast
4. Suits all skin types
5. Fights free radical damage
1. Only for body skin; might leave a white cast if applied on the face
2. Texture may be an issue to some
6. Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Looking for a sunscreen with anti-aging properties? Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen is here to serve you. This SPF 35 and PA+++ sunscreen soothes your skin with 100% pure Japanese wild rose and green tea extract.
The premium skin-hugging formula gives you an illusion of skin. It provides a hydrated matte finish to the skin. This broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen is one of the best cruelty-free sunblocks with de-pigmentation benefits. It has a smooth and creamy texture. A small quantity is enough. So, it lasts long. Doesn’t end up leaving a shine on your face. But there is a healthy dewy look. Yep, oily skin will LOVE it too.
1. Quality skin-friendly mineral sunscreen
2. Facial sunscreen with a pore-free matte finish
3. Light & non-greasy texture
4. Broad spectrum sun protection with SPF 35 and PA+++
5. Boon for oily and pigmentation prone skin
1. On the pricey side (if you are unsure but still wanna try out, opt for the travel size before committing!)
2. Not vegan
7. COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream4.5 out of 5.0 stars
It comes with SPF 50 and PA+++. COSRX Aloe is a broad-spectrum protection sunscreen presented in the form of moisturizer. This aloe vera-based super soothing sunscreen is much loved for its light and hydrating texture. It is a vegan K-beauty invention that blocks the harmful rays of the sun and keeps your skin lively and youthful in the long run.
This is your perfect sunscreen pick for any time, anywhere and any season! It has a nice fresh scent to it. Additionally, there is no white cast and it hydrates your skin without making you feel greasy. Also, if you have dry skin, then you will most probably like it better.
1. Moisturizes the skin
2. Perfect for all skin types but dry skin would like it more
3. High UV coverage with SPF 50 and PA+++
4. Contains fresh aloe extract and safe skin soothing actives
5. Vegan facial sunscreen
1. Availability might be an issue for some
8. Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Paula’s Choice RESIST, SPF 30, is a tinted sunscreen that is specially designed for oily to combination skin. This sunscreen is enriched with potent anti-oxidant Resveratrol, skin-calming willow bark extract, and much-loved mineral sunscreen zinc oxide.
This multipurpose sunscreen not only provides protection against harmful UVA/UVB rays but also nourishes and firms sagged skin. It is a paraben-free and also fragrance-free sunblock that fights against dryness, wrinkles and provides a lasting glow. One of the popular choices of cruelty-free lovers is this beauty. It provides a matte finish and has a silky texture, you’ll probably love. No greasiness, even if you have oily skin.
1. Acne safe SPF
2. Mattifying and light formula
3. Hydrates dull and dry skin
4. Prevents from pollution damage too
5. Suitable for the face that provides wrinkle repair benefits
6. Antioxidants & zinc oxide-based tinted mineral sunscreen
1. Most RESIST range products are not vegan (could not find enough information to conclude this one is vegan or not)
9. Sun Bum Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion5.0 out of 5.0 stars
This Sun Bum lotion is the perfect sunscreen for beach babes with SPF 50. It is a non-comedogenic formula that is both cruelty-free and approved by The Skin Cancer Foundation. A hypoallergenic sunscreen that gives you 80 minutes of full-proof broad-spectrum coverage with its light and soothing formula. It is a vitamin and antioxidant-based gluten-free sunscreen.
It is not greasy and rubs in well without feeling heavy. Provides UVA/UVB protection as well as effective protection. Do try this face and body sunscreen for problem-free nourished skin!
1. Oil-free hypoallergenic lotion
2. Face and body sunscreen
3. Broad spectrum protection with SPF 50
4. Vegan and PABA free formula
1. The effect wears off quickly if you sweat a lot; reapplication needed
2. Not for sensitive eyes
10. Mineral Fusion Mineral Face Moisturizer4.5 out of 5.0 stars
An SPF 40 face moisturizer that guards your skin with UV-resistant minerals that are naturally found on earth. It contains Shea butter that hydrates your skin. This vegan, phthalate, gluten, talc, and PABA-free sunscreen helps to prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging.
This is a great 2-in-1 sunscreen plus moisturizer to use under your makeup. It creates a smooth base and makes your foundation look flawless. A non-toxic moisturizer that leaves no white film.
1. Mineral based facial sunscreen with moisturizer
2. Harmful chemical free & vegan
3. Provides lasting sun protection
4. Great under the makeup sunscreen
5. Comes with anti-aging properties
1. Heavy for oily to combination skin (greasy)
11. Kiss My Face Face Factor Face + Neck Sunscreen4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Face Factor is an SPF 50 sunscreen. It is weight-less & quick-absorbing with 60 minutes water-resistant formula. This is licorice, green tea, aloe vera & cucumber extracts-based sunscreen. It re-hydrates and shields the skin from damaging UV rays. This face sunscreen is free from paraben, phthalate, gluten, nano-particles, and artificial flavoring agents.
A lightweight sunscreen that goes on easily and gets absorbed quickly. It is smooth to put on and the texture is fine. Face Factor has a fragrance to it, which I didn’t find troublesome. You can also wear it under your makeup, just let it dry before getting started. Overall, it is a nice facial sunscreen.
1. Nano-particle free biodegradable facial sunscreen
3. Decreases sun sensitivity
4. Prevents premature aging
5. Can be used under makeup
1. Might feel a little greasy to oily skin
That’s a wrap here. Do you have a favorite cruelty-free sunscreen? Do you want others to know about it or try at least once? Maybe you came into a new favorite. Share in the comments below and help me make this article more informative!
Check Out Further
Share on Pinterest!