Last Updated on 09/01/2022
Tarte Cosmetics is entirely cruelty-free. They are certified by PETA. However, the parent company Kosé Corporation is not. Tarte has many marked vegan products and currently working on expanding them.
Tarte Cosmetics makes some of the best makeup you can get at Ulta or Sephora. It is a US-born brand having a huge fan base. As a result, Tarte did spread its wings to Australia, Canada & Europe. This mid-range brand believes in safe skincare.
They are aided by their trademark “high-performance naturals” technology. As a result, Tarte ditched the baddies like ‘parabens, mineral oil, SLS, gluten’ among others.
Instead, created its own world of makeup with skin-friendly ingredients. It contains Amazonian clay, minerals, colored clay, etc. Additionally, it is an eco-friendly brand. They address their consumers as ‘Tartelettes‘. Cute, must say!
Tarte is often an obvious choice for makeup lovers. If you’re a fan of MAC or NARS, you can switch to Tarte, a cruelty-free alternative. Because both NARS and MAC are not cruelty free. Another popular among makeup lovers is Maybelline, owned by L’Oreal. Maybelline is also not cruelty-free.
Does Tarte test on Animals? Is it vegan?
Tarte Cosmetics – The Background Story
Tarte Cosmetics emerged from the bedroom of a US-based psychologist turned cosmetic enthusiast. Let me introduce you to the creators, Maureen Kelly, and her first husband.
1999 – It began in search of a simple cosmetic that glorifies the entire makeup look. Kelly created a very innovative cheek stain in 1999. Her first product was an instant hit among the masses. It got featured in many high-so magazine cover pages.
Eventually, Tarte came out with more nature-inspired products containing good ingredients. Maureen made it a point to avoid harsh chemical preservatives. It is free of paraben, artificial fragrance, mineral oil, and gluten.
2014 – In 2014, 93.5% stakes of Tarte cosmetics were bought by Japanese cosmetic giant Kosé Corporation. Here the main aim was expansion, reaching outside the US.
Currently – Right now, the brand is working towards all-vegan products with their stunning new innovations.
Tarte – Animal Testing
On the FAQ page of their official website you’ll find:
Tarte Cosmetics is a cruelty-free cosmetics line & has been since 2000! Tarte makeup & skincare is never tested on animals. We are also an approved PETA participant.
- Both officially & unofficially, they do not test any of their product ingredients. Or finished products for that matter.
- Don’t support animal testing actively or passively by their suppliers or regulatory bodies in exporting countries.
- They do not agree with mandatory animal testing practices. That’s the reason, Tarte is not available in China.
Cruelty Free Timeline
2000 – Just one year after its debut, in 2000, Tarte decided to go cruelty-free. They became a PETA-certified cruelty-free brand.
2014 – In 2014, the popular Japanese brand KOSÉ Corporation bought it from Maureen, Tarte’s founder member.
KOSÉ Corporation is not cruelty-free. Hence, there was much buzz and speculation. The question was whether Tarte will compromise its animal testing policies. Thankfully, the owning brand kept Tarte’s cruelty-free status unaltered.
Is Tarte Cruelty Free?
Yes, Tarte does not test on animals. Tarte cosmetics is a PETA-certified cruelty-free brand. They do not take any of their products or their constituting ingredients through unethical animal testing procedures.
They do not let their suppliers or other governing bodies test their products by means of cruelty.
Is Tarte made and/or sold in China?
Tarte does not sell their products in China. However, the parent brand of Tarte, Kosé still tests its products on animals. Kosé follows third-party animal testing whenever necessary.
Is Tarte vegan?
If your cosmetic does not contain anything derived from animal sources, it’s vegan. Wish Tarte had all vegan products in their collection. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Not every single Tarte product is vegan.
They have introduced a ‘Vegan Mark’ in their product list. Therefore, you can easily connect to the vegan products just by their green color vegan mark at the top left of respective items.
In Tarte’s own words:
“Many of our products are vegan – just search for the vegan logo on the product image!”
Do I recommend this brand?
Yes, I do. Considering pigmentation, staying power & performance, Tarte products are amazing. You get what you pay for. Moreover, every product of Tarte is cruelty-free & eco-friendly. It is made with skin-safe ingredients found in nature.
The ethical sourcing policy of this brand adds a new feather to its already stunning product line. The owner brand of Tarte is not cruelty-free. However, Tarte abides by the animal safety measures with grace.
If you are a cruelty-free makeup lover, it is one of your best options in mid-range makeup.
Makeup Brands to Support
5 Highly Recommended Products!
1. Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer – I know you saw this coming. How can I miss this baby? Currently, Tarte is the bestselling concealer brand here in the US.
All thanks to this game-changing concealer. It does not settle into your under-eye fine lines and stays put for the day. Offers full-coverage & light-weight formula. Definitely a must-try for vegan beauty lovers!
2. Lights Camera 4-in-1 Mascara – I have talked about this mascara before in the best cruelty-free mascara guide. This mascara provides an instant pushed-up look. It curls, volumizes & lengthens your lashes. A vegan mascara with water-proof & non-water-proof options!
3. Tartelette Eyeshadow Palette – This eyeshadow palette is so pretty. Perfect for the fall & holiday season. It offers 12 versatile warm neutral eye shades. You get practically every wearable brown combined in a single palette. Do try this one if you feel like it.
4. Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush – If you always look for a seamless blend of colors, Amazonian clay blush will definitely win your heart. The long-lasting formula glides smoothly on your cheeks. It provides that naturally flushed look you will adore.
5. Tarte H2O Gloss – Gloss is my everyday need. Until it is windy outside! Then, I’m more of a matte lover. It contains the benefit of sea minerals. Enjoy your dreamy plump lips with H2O gloss! It comes in 2 finishes – Shimmer & High Shine. Available in 17 shades.
Share on Pinterest!