Last Updated on 02/21/2022
Aveeno is owned by Johnson & Johnson in 1999. They expanded into the Chinese market in 2013. Third-party laboratories test their products. The brand itself doesn’t do the testing of finished products. Aveeno is not cruelty free.
Oatmeal is good for health. Do you know it is amazing for your skin too? Hydrolyzed oats protein restores the natural pH balance of the skin. It reduces dryness and recurrent skin issues like eczema. Oats-based Aveeno products come with all these benefits.
Naturally, people with problematic skin often find their solace in Aveeno lotions and washes. Aveeno’s baby care range gets enough attention as well. Is the brand ethical? How ‘animal safe’ is it?
Long answer short. Aveeno is not ethical enough to disclose their cruelty-related measures to their keen audience. Both Aveeno and its owning brand Johnson & Johnson support animal testing at a mass scale.
You should know all the inside facts about Aveeno and its animal testing practices. Let’s discuss this in detail.
Is Aveeno Cruelty Free & Vegan? *2022*
Aveeno – Past & Present
1945: Aveeno was established by the Musher brothers, Sydney and Albert in 1945. It was named Aveeno based upon the scientific name of oats, Aveena Sativa.
The main aim was to harness the benefits of colloidal oats in cosmetic skincare. In the beginning, Rydelle Laboratories, a subsidiary brand of famous S. C. Johnson & Son, manufactured the products.
1999: In 1999, Aveeno was acquired by Johnson & Johnson.
Later, the brand started launching an eczema skincare relief line along with its baby care collection. Jennifer Aniston’s Friends advertorial is what made Aveeno super famous among the masses.
What does Aveeno say about its Cruelty-Free status?
You can find the animal testing policy on its official website. The statement is full of filler words to convince the consumer about Aveeno’s stance to find effective alternatives to animal testing.
“AVEENO® doesn’t conduct animal testing of our cosmetic products anywhere in the world, except in the rare situation where governments or laws require it. At AVEENO®, we won’t ever compromise on the quality or safety of our products or stop seeking alternatives to animal testing.”
The harsh truth is Aveeno agrees to test its finished products on animals. They don’t run those tests by themselves. The third-party laboratories authorized by the Chinese government test their products. However, the brand doesn’t provide enough information on how the individual ingredients are tested by their suppliers.
Cruelty Free Timeline
I didn’t find enough information to comment if Aveeno was a cruel brand during its launch.
1999: Ever since Aveeno started working under Johnson & Johnson in 1999, it adopted J&J’s policies. J&J is not a cruelty-free brand as you may already know.
2013: In 2013, Aveeno decided to expand into the Chinese market. Right now, it’s a non-cruelty-free brand.
Who is the owner company
Aveeno was acquired by Johnson & Johnson in 1999. They also test on animals like their child brand.
Is Aveeno Cruelty-Free?
No. Aveeno is not a cruelty-free brand because of two reasons.
Firstly, it allows its products to get tested on animals when it is a necessary step for some country’s imported product policy. Aveeno mentions this fact clearly on its official website.
The other thing is, Aveeno sells its products in countries where animal testing is a mandate rather than choice.
Does Aveeno manufacture in China?
Aveeno’s US range comes from its Canada manufacturing unit. They manufacture their Asian range in South Korea. As per the sources, Aveeno has no manufacturing facilities in China. Aveeno enters the Chinese market as an imported product.
Does Aveeno sell in China?
Yes. They started selling their products in China in 2013. Initially, Aveeno was available offline through China’s famous Tmall. Currently, you can buy Aveeno products in China through its official online shop and various offline stores.
Is it vegan?
Aveeno does not tag its products as ‘vegan’. It is likely that some of their products contain animal-derived products. There isn’t enough information to come to a concrete conclusion. However, Aveeno’s allowance of animal testing takes their products to animal harming procedures.
Do I recommend Aveeno?
No. I don’t recommend Aveeno because it is not cruelty-free or vegan-friendly. Aveeno products do get tested on animals as it enters the Chinese mass market as imported products. China’s policy requires animal testing on cosmetic products such as skincare to ensure the safety of consumers.
There’s another negative side of Aveeno products. Some Aveeno products contain petrolatum. This mineral oil derivative is tagged carcinogenic by the European Union cosmetic safety division.
Aveeno promotes its products as ‘natural’. Sadly, many ingredients are chemically sourced. Both Aveeno and its parent brand Johnson & Johnson are in PETA’s brands to avoid list.
Alternatives to 5 Highly Popular Products
1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion: It is one of the most hyped body lotions. I’m here to recommend you some alternatives!
If you’re looking for a soothing day cream for troubled skin, Acure Seriously Soothing Day Cream can be your solution. It is one of my favorite Amazon finds. This rosehip, sunflower & chamomile-based moisturizer gets rid of dryness. Moreover, it works best on rosacea-prone skin. Also paraben free!
Alba Botanica’s Emollient Unscented Body Lotion is also a great alternative. Unlike Aveeno, Alba Botanica is a cruelty-free and vegan brand. Instead of harmful mineral oil, this lotion uses natural emollients. – such as shea butter, avocado, and jojoba oil. It is fragrance-free and non-greasy!
2. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Sunscreen Lotion: Why do you need Aveeno Sunscreen when you have Kiss My Face and Supergoop? Both these sunscreens are 100% safe and provide broad-spectrum sun protection. Your skin stays protected from sun rays as well as harmful parabens or phthalates. These sunscreens are non-greasy yet nourishing. You can enjoy your beach holidays with these without harming coral reefs too!
3. Aveeno Foaming Salicylic Acid Cleanser: Milk Makeup Vegan Facial Cleanser is your best shot at salicylic acid-based peeling cleansers. This soothing face wash is suitable for normal to dry skin. It is completely vegan and artificial fragrance-free.
4. Aveeno Dermexa Emollient Cream: Derma E’s Psorzema Cream is the best emollient cream for common dry skin issues like eczema and rosacea. It has neem, burdock, and bearberry extract. It provides ultimate relief from eczema in 4 weeks (according to studies). You can try it alongside Derma E’s Psorzema Body Wash for redness and itch-free nourished skin.
5. Aveeno Micellar Gel Cleanser: You must know how fuss-free Micellar Cleansers are. Your skin could use the nourishing touch of 100% Pure Blood Orange Cleansing Balm. It is vegan, natural, and 100% free from toxic chemicals. Cleanses dirt and waterproof or non-waterproof makeup. Indulge yourself in the heavenly citrus fragrance!
If you have a favorite Aveeno dupe, kindly share with others!
Aveeno is not entirely vegan. They also test on animals and sell in China tagged as imported products. Their parent company is also not cruelty free.
Share on Pinterest!