Last Updated on 01/04/2021
Oatmeal is good for health. Do you know it is amazing for your skin too? Hydrolyzed oats protein restores the natural pH balance of the skin. It reduces dryness and recurrent skin issues like eczema. Oats based Aveeno products come with all these benefits. Naturally, people with problematic skin often find their solace in Aveeno lotions and washes. Aveeno’s baby care range gets enough attention as well. But does Aveeno deserve such attention? Are they ethical? Is Aveeno cruelty free & vegan? How ‘animal safe’ is it?
*contains affiliate link(s)
Is Aveeno Cruelty Free & Vegan *2021*?
Long answer short. Aveeno is not ethical enough to disclose their cruelty related measures to their keen audience. Both Aveeno and its owning brand Johnson & Johnson supports animal testing at a mass scale.
All this is about China and other countries’ lucrative market. Are you planning an Aveeno haul? Are you using Aveeno for a long time thinking it is cruelty free?
Then you should know all the inside facts about Aveeno and its animal testing practices. Let’s discuss in detail.
Aveeno – Past & Present
1945: Aveeno was established by Musher brothers, Sydney and Albert in 1945. It was named Aveeno based upon the scientific name of oats, Aveena Sativa.
Aveeno’s main aim was to harness the benefits of colloidal oats in cosmetic skin care. At the beginning, it was manufactured by Rydelle Laboratories, a subsidiary brand of famous S. C. Johnson & Son.
1999: In 1999 Aveeno was acquired by Johnson & Johnson.
Later, the brand started launching eczema care skin relief line along with its baby care collection. Jennifer Aniston’s Friends advertorial is what made Aveeno super famous among masses.
What Aveeno says about their Cruelty Free status?
Aveeno’s animal testing policy is there on its official web page. The statement is full of filler words to convince the consumer about Aveeno’s stance to find effective alternatives of animal testing.
“AVEENO® doesn’t conduct animal testing of our cosmetic products anywhere in the world, except in the rare situation where governments or laws require it. At AVEENO®, we won’t ever compromise on the quality or safety of our products or stop seeking alternatives to animal testing.”
The harsh truth is Aveeno agrees to test its finished products on animals. They don’t run those tests by themselves. Their products get tested by third party laboratories authorized by Chinese government.
However, Aveeno doesn’t provide enough information on how the individual ingredients are tested by their suppliers.
Cruelty Free Timeline
We didn’t find enough information to comment if Aveeno was a cruel brand during its launch.
1999: Ever since Aveeno started working under Johnson & Johnson in 1999, it adopted J&J’s policies. J&J is not a cruelty free brand as you may know.
2013: In 2013, Aveeno decided to expand into the Chinese market. Right now, it’s a non-cruelty free brand.
Is Aveeno Cruelty Free?
No. Aveeno is not a cruelty free brand because of two reasons.
Firstly, Aveeno allows its products to get tested on animals when it is a necessary step for some country’s imported product policy. Aveeno mentions this fact clearly on its official website.
The other thing is, Aveeno sells its products in countries where animal testing is a mandate rather than choice.
Does Aveeno manufacture in China?
Aveeno’s US range comes from its Canada manufacturing unit. They manufacture their Asian range in South Korea. As per our sources, Aveeno has no manufacturing facilities in China. Aveeno enters the Chinese market as an imported product.
Does Aveeno sell in China?
Yes. Aveeno started selling its products in China in 2013. Initially, Aveeno was available offline through China’s famous Tmall. Currently, you can buy Aveeno products in China through its official online shop and various offline stores.
Is it vegan?
Aveeno does not tag its products as ‘vegan’. It is likely that some of their products contain animal derived products. There isn’t enough information to come to a concrete conclusion. However, Aveeno’s allowance of animal testing takes their products to animal harming procedures.
Do we recommend Aveeno?
No. I don’t recommend Aveeno because it is not a cruelty free or vegan-friendly brand. Aveeno products do get tested on animals as it enters Chinese mass market as an imported product. China’s policy requires animal testing on cosmetic products such as skin care to ensure safety of consumers.
There’s another negative side of Aveeno products. Some Aveeno products contain petrolatum. This mineral oil derivative is tagged carcinogenic by European Union’s cosmetic safety division.
Aveeno promotes their products as ‘natural’. Sadly, many ingredients of Aveeno products are chemically sourced. Both Aveeno and its parent brand Johnson & Johnson are in PETA’s brands to avoid list.
Alternatives to 5 Highly Recommended Products from Aveeno
1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion: One of the most hyped body lotion has to be this. Here to recommend you some alternatives!
If you’re looking for a soothing day cream for troubled skin, Acure Seriously Soothing Day Cream is your solution. It is one of my Amazon finds. This rosehip, sunflower & chamomile based moisturizer gets rid of dryness. Moreover, it works best on rosacea prone skin. Cruelty & paraben free!
Alba Botanica’s Emollient Unscented Body Lotion is also a great alternative. Unlike Aveeno, Alba Botanica is cruelty free as well as vegan friendly. Instead of harmful mineral oil, this lotion uses natural emollients like shea butter, avocado and jojoba oil. Enjoy non-greasy moisturization all day long! Yeah, it is fragrance free too!!
2. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Sunscreen Lotion: Why do you need Aveeno Sunscreen when you have Kiss My Face and Supergoop? Both these sunscreens are 100% safe, cruelty free and provide broad spectrum sun protection. Your skin stays protected from sun rays as well as harmful parabens or pthalates. These sunscreens are non-greasy yet nourishing. You can enjoy your beach holidays with these without harming coral reef too!
3. Aveeno Foaming Salicylic Acid Cleanser: Milk Makeup’s Vegan Milk Facial Cleanser is your best shot at salicylic acid based peeling cleansers. This soothing face wash is suitable for normal to dry skin. It is completely cruelty free, vegan and also free from artificial fragrance. Additionally, Milk Cleanser balances skin’s natural pH level alongside soothing your skin.
4. Aveeno Dermexa Emollient Cream: Derma E’s Psorzema Cream is the best emollient cream for common dry skin issues like eczema and rosacea. This cruelty free cream prevents and cures dryness with neem, burdock and bearberry extract. An effect driven cream provides ultimate relief from eczema in 4 weeks (according to studies). Use this along with Derma E’s Psorzema Body Wash for redness and itch free nourished skin.
5. Aveeno Micellar Gel Cleanser: You must know how fuss free Micellar Cleansers are. Aveeno’s Micellar cleanser gel might not be the best for your skin and also for the poor animals. Your skin could use the nourishing touch of 100% Pure Blood Orange Cleansing Balm. This one is not just cruelty free; it is vegan, natural and 100% free from toxic chemicals. It cleanses dirt, impurities, every bit of water proof and non-waterproof makeup. Indulge yourself into the heavenly citrus fragrance!
If you have a favorite Aveeno dupe, kindly share with others!
Share on Pinterest!